Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cambodia's first rock opera opens next month

By KER MUNTHIT, Associated Press Writer – Wed Oct 29, 5:23 am ET

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia – Cambodia's first rock opera will premiere in Phnom Penh next month, a cultural milestone in the Southeast Asian country where performing arts were banned during the brutal Khmer Rouge years.

"Where Elephants Weep" is an East-meets-West blend of traditional Cambodian music and Western rock that is modeled after "Romeo and Juliet" and inspired by the Broadway musical "Rent."

Organizers said Wednesday the show will open a 10-day run Nov. 28 in a converted movie theater in the capital, Phnom Penh, a year later than its planned debut at the end of 2007.

Read more..

5 comments:

Runsinarith said...

It would be great if we could go to this event together. I'm gonna miss it but not like the way I miss ma cherie. Pourquoi? Parce que je te manque toujours:)

Anonymous said...

I saw its preview in Lowell last year; it was awesome. You should go see it if you can.

Vimealea said...

heheh bong Rith eng.. Even if you were here it would be rare of us going to such events right? :P

Vimealea said...

:) Kol I don't think I can go... (crying)... :P Too tied up, with ropes and maybe chains too.

Runsinarith said...

hehehe ma cherie....tu me sais bien....aun know bong better than anyone:)...bong would go only if aun go too:)